A Guide To Cake sizes and servings
A Cake size and serving guide
Lets Celebrate! With cake
Guide prices for celebration cakes below…
Below are my celebration cake sizes and servings guide with guide prices, showing portions for dessert/party serves.
You will find a helpful cake ‘size and serving guide’ to choose what size and type of cake you require for your event.
Different events traditionally have different requirements in serving sizes. Traditionally you would serve coffee portions for weddings and dessert, or party, serves for parties. Dessert serves are a substantial portion served as a pudding or dessert whereas coffee serves are finger portions served as a delicate treat with coffee after a dessert has already been served.
But who says you have to stick with tradition? You can serve your wedding cake as dessert and go with larger portions. So whether you are sticking to convention or blazing a trail it may affect the size of your celebration cake or wedding cake.
My wedding cakes are made bespoke and have opulent premium flavours so are priced accordingly. Please see our wedding cake section or fill out the enquiry form for wedding cakes below and I will get back to you with my availability promptly.
What size and type of cake do I require?
There are a few things to consider when deciding a cake size for any event. Before ordering your wedding cake or celebration cake have a look at the following considerations:
- What event are you planning? This will usually determine portion sizes e.g. birthdays usually serve ‘party portions’ or ‘dessert portions’ but weddings usually serve ‘coffee portions’.
- How many guests will my cake be serving at my wedding party or birthday party?
- Am I serving other treats or desserts at my event?
- Will my wedding cake be served as dessert or is the cake more for the cutting ceremony?
- Will my birthday cake be served as a dessert?
- What is the adult vs. child ratio?
- Adults and elders tend to have less of a sweet tooth but children & adolescents generally want larger slices or more helpings.
- Who will be cutting the cake?
- The venue’s kitchen staff will almost always provide the perfect size and number of serves. A family member or friend, on the other hand, may not know proper cake cutting methods or portion sizes. This can affect how many portions you get from a cake.
- Would you like some cake left over for later?
Cake Portion Sizes
Our celebration cakes and wedding cake tiers come in two heights: original and extra tall.
Our cakes come in two heights. Original and Extra Tall. Extra Tall cakes are a double barrel cake which is basically two standard layer sponges stacked with a cake board and dowels for support so as to make one tall and elegant cake. Double barrel cakes serve around twice as many serves but priced around 30% more so can be a cost effective way to cater for more guests.
Celebration cakes are priced at roughly £6.60 per (larger) party serve with a small stacking fee for each tier on tiered cakes.
Wedding cakes or celebration cakes made with premium flavour choices are priced at roughly £6 per (smaller) coffee serve and include a small stacking fee for each tier on tiered cakes. Please get in touch for a wedding cake quote.
The prices below are for a reasonably simple buttercream design with some minimal design features such as some fresh floristry flowers and some edible gold painting. A guide to our extra design embellishments can be found on our celebration and birthday cake price guide page.
If you require a bespoke quote for a wedding cake you can start an enquiry here.
A Guide to cake serves – party portions
One Tier Cakes
Two Tier Cakes
8” & 6”
10” & 6”
10” & 8”
12” & 8”
Three Tier Cakes
8”, 6” & 4”
10”, 8” & 6”
12”, 10” & 6”
12”, 10” & 8”
Four Tier Cakes
12”, 10”, 8” & 6”
*Prices exclude delivery – see our delivery options
A Cake Cutting Guide
The following image shows the difference between smaller coffee serves traditionally served at weddings and larger dessert serves usually served at parties. Depending on your requirements you can request a quote based on either dessert or coffee serves.
Here is a helpful guide to show the difference in serves for a standard 6 inch cake. The way the cake is cut determines the portions yielded. For weddings and events your caterer will be familiar with the correct cutting guide and will ensure the correct number of serves are produced.
BouCakes From £65
Signature styled BouCakes serve 10 dessert portions and are from £65 for signature designs in Seasonal colours
Dietary Requirement? We can cater for you
Start a Celebration cake enquiry (you can enter your dietary requirements in the form field when you enquire)…